Search This Blog

Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Actually Read a Book


***spoiler alert***

Reading is one of my favorite ways to relax and unwind.  However, since the birth of my daughter, I have not actually finished reading anything.  I did start the Steve Jobs biography, but I only made it half way through.

Well, as of yesterday that finally changed: I finished Chivalry is Undead (Just Another Zombie Love Story). It was far from great writing, but it was a somewhat entertaining and quick read.  I don't feel it's deserving of its five star review on Amazon,  but I would give it a solid three.

I used Amazon Prime's lending service, so it was actually free, which is good, as I would not deem it buying worthy.  The characters were pretty flat and uninteresting.  There wasn't much plot and very little conflict.  I know, the Zombie Survival genre isn't known for it's compelling plots - it's pretty much avoid getting eaten.  The protagonist, Stephen, saves a local bar maid, Jessica, and then they both go on a trip from San Antonio to Houston to pick up his friend Paul, his wife and two kids.  Along the way he saves a few other people and they all decide to shack up in this farm house.  Jessica, Stephen's love interest just about falls into the his lap and there is tons of cheesy "I am yours" dialogue.

This novel landed on my radar due to the advertisements on my podcast: "We're Alive: A Story of Survival", which is actually a really awesome radio drama.  I was hoping "Chivalry is Undead" would surprise me like "We're Alive" had, but it was amusing and it gave me the thrill of actually finishing reading something.

No comments:

Post a Comment