Search This Blog

Monday, March 3, 2014

Fix That Creaky Cabinet

I had a Duh moment today as I was searching for WD40 on Google Shopping Express.  

For months the top pantry cabinet has had an awful creak. During the day, it doesn't bother me that much. However, at night it turns into a loud-mouthed tattle tale, informing everyone in the house if you are doing any late night snacking. 

Creaky hinge. I knew what I needed: WD40. It was a hard-coded response. I didn't even consider anything else. So, I kept on making mental notes (usually during a midnight cookie forage) to pick up some WD40, but somehow it never made it on to my actual to-do list.

I came this close to ordering some today. Then I started reading over the description, "...harmful or fatal if swallowed..." I shuddered at bringing another dangerous item that I would have to stoway far from the baby. I've had to move all my cleaning supplies from under the sink to the top cabinets. I use mostly natural cleaning products, but I still think it's not good if you chug down a bottle of Mrs. Meyers.

Anyway, I thought about it, and I'm like it's just a fine mist of oil.... I have oil...in fact, I have a Misto! So I got the Misto out of the cabinet and gave it a few pumps and sprayed away at the cabinet hinge. I swung the door open, the creak had notably decreased. A few more sprays and it was gone! Excellent, for a few cents worth of safflower oil, I had saved four bucks and had avoided bringing toxic substances into the home. I felt very accomplished. 

It's interesting to think how many "product needs" are just brainwashed into us. I wonder what else I don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment