Search This Blog

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Water Kefir Grains are Reproducing!

Well, it has almost been 6 weeks exactly, and now my water kefir grains have started to grow!

I started out with 3 tablespoons and now I am up to 4; a modest increase, but at least they are increasing. I am hoping to have an extra 3 to 4 tablespoons to take with me to share with family when I visit Michigan. I had read that sometimes kefir grains take 6-8 weeks before they start reproducing. Seems to be true.

I have been constantly making kefir since I received my grains. I feed them 4 tablespoons of sugar and culture them in a quart mason jar for two days, then I strain out the grains and start the process over. The strained liquid I mix with some juice or tea ( so far I have tried cherry, grapefruit, cranberry, Concord grape and hibiscus tea) and culture for another two days on the counter top and then move it to the refrigerator if I haven't drank it all by that time. I have also started adding either a teaspoon of molasses or a pinch of pink Himalayan salt for minerals.  

notice that non-concentrate juices seem to get more fizzy. Also I have noticed some decrease in my appetite since I started drinking kefir.

Since it has been getting hotter here (90s), I am starting to move from two days of culturing to one.  This will also give me a buffer if I forget about  my grains for a day. On a couple occasions now, I have forgot and let the grains go three days in between their feedings. I was scared that I might kill them, but they seem to be doing fine.  I hope they keep on reproducing. I will be happier once I have some back up grains stored away just in case something goes wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment