Search This Blog

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Salad Shooter - A Review

In a previous life I owned a food processor. It was not the food processor that I would have chosen for myself. In fact, it was supposed to be for my mother-in-law, but when Rat was packing his bags, he couldn't fit it in his luggage, and so I inherited it.

It was nice when I had large shredding or slicing jobs to do, but it was so bulky and difficult to wash that I hardly ever wanted to use it. A lot of things I would rather hand grate than have to pull down that monstrosity of a machine and have it take up one level of the dish washer afterwards. After a couple years of use, one of the plastic pieces cracked and the lid would no longer click in place, so that you had to hold the lid on with one hand when using it. I used it less and less, and hated the space it took up in my cupboard. It got sloughed off in the next move, and I was happy to be rid of it.

However, every time I would make Gajar Halwa (which requires a lot of grated carrot), I would long for some gadget that would make the grating go quicker and less painful. I knew I didn't want another bulky food processor, but all of the mini food processors seemed to only be capable of chopping and grinding; I wanted something that could shred and slice. Finally, I came across the salad shooter. I liked it's small size and that it had multiple discs available that could slice, shred, and even ripple slice.  I got the regular model with the slice and shred cones. I use it mostly for shredding and it has been awesome for making my own hash browns, shredding my own cheese, and shredding carrots for Gajar Halwa. I would like to get the ripple slice cone someday and make my own rippled beet and potato chips. Best of all, the parts take up hardly any room in the dishwasher, and the whole contraption fits in a small kitchen drawer.

Last night, I made Maamidikaaya Annam (raw mango rice) for dinner and fell in love with my Salad Shooter all over again; it quickly shredded the two mangos and a whole coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment