Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sloppy Jill's

I would spend much less time cooking if food manufacturers would quit stuffing everything full of HFC and hydrogenated oils (also artificial flavors and colors, what the hell is Yellow 5 Lake?!).

Lately, I've been doing a lot of back to basics cooking: spaghetti, tacos, stroganoff, etc. One of my favorite dinners is Sloppy Joes. I have fond childhood memories of Sloppy Joes. One of the great things about Sloppy Joes (which I didn't appreciate as a kid) are they are so simple to make. Get your can of Manwhich, some ground beef (which there was almost always some in the freezer), and some buns and you were in business. Some cheese to go on top was also awesome, but not necessary.

Then I became vegetarian, and I had to relearn how and what to eat. The hamburger in Sloppy Joes was replaced with the slightly costlier, but still tasty and convenient Veggie Crumbles (Morning Star being my brand of choice). ***Side note: Light Life Smart Ground does bad things to my digestive tract, I highly advise staying away from that stuff, especially if you are just trying on the vegetarian lifestyle.

Then I decided to try and eat healthier, avoiding HFC and hydrogenated oils. So Manwhich was out the window. I am sure that there is a healthier Sloppy Joe mix out there, but if there is it is not widely and easily available. I did not eat Sloppy Joes for a long time, I just gave the cans of Manwhich the same wistful glances that I had been giving the Smuckers Uncrustables.

Well, after tinkering with various recipes, I have come up with my own version of Sloppy Joes. It's not quite as convenient as using a can of Manwhich, but it's made in a crockpot so it requires little hands on attention. It also freezes well, so you can still enjoy those lazy dinner days.

Ingredients
    8 hamburger buns 
  •     8 oz cheddar cheese (optional), shredded 
  •     pickles (optional) 
  •     1 Onion 
  •     1 Bell Pepper 
  •     1 cup TVP 
  •     1 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth 
  •     8 0z Tomato Sauce 
  •     3 oz tomato paste 
  •     1 T Brown Sugar 
  •     1 T Onion Powder 
  •     1 tsp Salt 
  •     1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes 
  •     1/2 tsp Garlic 
  •     1/4 tsp Celery Seed 
  •     1/4 tsp Chilli Powder 
  •     1/4 tsp Mustard 
 
Directions
 
Finely chop onion and bell pepper.

Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil over medium heat for about five minutes.

Add all ingredients to crock pot, stir and cook on high 3-4 hrs.

Scoop filling on toasted buns and top with shredded cheddar and pickles if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment